Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Devin C. DiDominicus
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: Can I move in with my dad?

I am 16 years old and want to move in with my dad. My mom has been abusive mentally and physically. My dad is a registered sex offender because he was 18 and he dated a 17 year old girl. This was 40 years ago. Can I go live with him without my moms consent? I am sick of living with a mother that... View More

Devin C. DiDominicus
Devin C. DiDominicus
answered on May 15, 2017

If there is a parenting time order, your father needs to consult with an attorney regarding a motion to modify parenting time and responsibility. You're old enough that your opinion matters regarding placement, but keep in mind that your father's registration may have additional terms and... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Ohio on
Q: can the guy my son calls dad adopt

my son is 4 years old the guy he calls daddy has been his dad since he was 6 months old. we are no longer together but we still want to proceed with adoption. my sons biological father hasnt been in his life and the judge put abandonment on him during our custody battle 3 1/2 years ago.

Devin C. DiDominicus
Devin C. DiDominicus
answered on May 15, 2017

The biological parent will need to be notified of the adoption, and the adoption will eliminate the parental rights of the biological parent. The adoptive parent will then stand in the place of the biological parent for the purposes of child support responsibility, inheritance (both ways), and will... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.