Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Sarah E. Manning
2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on
Q: My father has died. his second wife kept him from me. Do I have any right to probate the will?

the wife didnt notify me of his death, omitted me from his obituary. I am his first born daughter. They met while I was living with dad in high school. She moved in, was his college student at the time .

Sarah E. Manning
Sarah E. Manning answered on Aug 13, 2019

Hello! Do you have a copy of the Will or the original? If he had a Will that named someone as his executor, that will be the person who will have the authority to probate the estate. If you don't have the Will or a copy to know what it says, I would suggest consulting with a probate attorney... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania on
Q: Question about quit/claim deed.

My parents have house in Florida. My dad died. My mom would like to add myself to her deed. Would I have to pay inheritance tax on this property? My mom also has it in her will the house is mine. She also wants to continue her insurance policy that would be grandfathered to me as well as long as my... Read more »

Sarah E. Manning
Sarah E. Manning answered on Aug 12, 2019

To advise on the Deed used for the Florida property, it would be best to consult a Florida real estate attorney. Does your mother reside in the Florida house or does she live in Pennsylvania with just a second home in Florida? Additional information would be needed to provide an accurate response.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: My father is the mortgagor for my brother.

My brother purchased our childhood home from my father. My father agreed to hold the mortgage which is legally recorded. Does he have to get a new mortgage to pay back the estate in order to settle (there are 4 of us) or can he take his portion of the inheritance and put it towards the balance and... Read more »

Sarah E. Manning
Sarah E. Manning answered on Aug 12, 2019

This question is best to be answered by a probate attorney in Pennsylvania if you don't have an attorney assisting with probating the estate already. While it's likely accurate that the heirs can all agree to use his inheritance towards a new mortgage and possibly distribute his share to... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.