Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Sul Lee
1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for Texas on
Q: Is it legal to dissolve an LLC in New York and reform it in Texas?

In June of this year, I filed articles of organization for an LLC in New York City. In early July, I filed articles of dissolution. Based on a search of the DOS public database, it appears my LLC was successfully dissolved.

I have recently moved to Texas, and I am interested in reforming my... View More

Sul Lee
Sul Lee
answered on Oct 19, 2023

Yes, unless a similar name already exist in Texas, you can re-incorporate using the same name; however, if it has not been long, you may want to wait to prevent any confusion. If the NY company's activities were limited and thus would not likely to cause any confusion, you should be fine.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.