Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Elle J. Byram
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Civil Rights for Colorado on
Q: Borrowed money to my still husband

My husband and I have been separated for a year and we are now just filing for divorce. During our separation he was Going through tough time and I borrowed him over $2600 . He now refuses to pay me back and I only have text messages to prove that I borrowed him the money. We only had an oral... View More

Elle J. Byram
Elle J. Byram
answered on Sep 21, 2017

Oral contracts can be valid so long as they satisfy the statute of frauds. I believe yours would satisfy the statute of fraud. The texts messages may actually give you a written contract depending on what is stated in them and whether the essential terms are there - I.e. The amount you loaned him... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.