Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Doug Bend
2 Answers | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for California on
Q: Once a corporation has been formed can shares of stock not be issued, and if so who owns the corporation?

Once a corporation is duly incorporated, who owns the corporation if no shares of stock have been issued, and can ownership change simply by issuing the majority of shares to and officer (say CEO) of the corporation without that officer having to pay for them?

Doug Bend
Doug Bend pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Sep 17, 2021

You could change the ownership of the corporation by issuing shares to an officer of the corporation. To do so, I recommend that you have a stock purchase agreement, a Board consent authorizing the issuance of the shares and submit a 25102(f) securities filing for the issuance of the shares.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.