Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Cynthia Rignanese
2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Florida on
Q: What can I do to gain a durable power of attorney for my elderly mother?

She had a severe stroke and unable to make any decision or do for herself.

Cynthia Rignanese
Cynthia Rignanese
answered on Apr 16, 2021

It is great that you are taking care of her!

To help you to help her, you have two options, depending on her mental state.

If she is still mentally competent, see an estate planning/elder law lawyer and get

*a Power of Attorney

*a Health Care Surrogate

View More

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning for Florida on
Q: How can my Mother-In-Law access her deceased sons bank account?

My Brother in Law passed and my mother in law is taking care of everything, he left a simple will which we filed with the courts stating everything goes to her, She is currently trying to get access to his bank account but the bank is saying the will doesn't state his finances the Bank says we... View More

Cynthia Rignanese
Cynthia Rignanese
answered on Mar 26, 2021

Consider this from the standpoint of the bank -- if they pay the wrong person, and the right person shows up, the Bank has to pay out DOUBLE the money. For this reason, the Bank requires a Court Order. Depending on the amount of money in the bank account, a Summary Administration (short) Probate or... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.