Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Elder Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for New York on
Q: Can a attorney refuse to change a will.

My brother passed away and mom wants to take his name off the will. Her attorney refuse to do it

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on May 18, 2021

It is unclear whose will needs to be revised. If it is the will of a deceased person, it cannot be revised. If it is the will of a living person, the only person who can revise it is the living person, who can only revise it (with the assistance of an attorney recommended) if he or she still has... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Probate for Oregon on
Q: What happens next when the state has temporary guardian and conservator of a lady. APS has been involved.

3 seporate times the lady has wondered out and police has brought her home.

Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis answered on May 17, 2021

If a temporary guardian and conservator have been appointed that person will step in to take control of the protected person's medical and placement decisions as well as controlling her finances. The temporary conservator will be responsible to paying all of her bills. The temporary guardian... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Louisiana on
Q: If I have a parent who is constantly confused, lying about events and circumstances to police, how do I stop this.

I need my clearly distraught over my father's death, and clearly in need of mental health Mother' medical attention.asap, before her lies and misconstrued mind has the police believing im.a monster and arrested ,and I'm not even in the same parish as her morning same house..please... Read more »

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux answered on May 15, 2021

You have 2 choices:

1) cut all connection to her. Change your email & phone number and get off social media. Perhaps also get an attorney to file a Restraining Order.

2) if you think it is a mental health/substance abuse issue, an attorney in her parish/county can do an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Oregon on
Q: The state has just been awarded complete control of a lady I care for. What does that mean for me?
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis answered on May 15, 2021

It sounds like the person you care for has either been civilly committed or the court has appointed a Guardian or Conservator for her. If she has been civilly committed then the state of Oregon will be responsible for determining where she lives and coordinating her care. If she has a guardian then... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Alabama on
Q: How do you name two agents on a Durable Power of Attorney?
Jack T. Carney
Jack T. Carney answered on May 14, 2021

The grantor of the power can appoint one or more agents to serve by naming them in the document. It is important to note whether the power is "joint" (meaning all agents must agree) or "joint and several" (meaning any agent can act without consent of the other). In practice I do... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Elder Law for Pennsylvania on
Q: This is extremely complicated and Covid related. At beginning of pandemic all persons over 60 laid off for months

Upon returning - we were required to disinfect all areas between patients with new disinfectants, masks and shields. By afternoon this had me vomiting violently. Sent home on many occasions suspected of infection. Occupational Medicine would not see me. I was consistently approved for time off... Read more »

Timothy Belt
Timothy Belt answered on May 11, 2021

That is indeed a complicated set of facts. It sounds like your doctor has indicated your condition is related to a work related chemical exposure. As such, this may be considered a work injury. If you have not already provided notice to your employer of a work injury, you have 120 days from the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law and Probate for New York on
Q: Mother has passed. My sister wants to be co administrator. Mom lived with me, can my sister enter my home to take items?

My mom signed a paper saying that she wants me to have all items of hers left in the home. Because she gave the rest of her children what she wanted them to have when she was alive and knew that they would give me a hard time. How can I protect myself, I know they want to be spiteful because mom... Read more »

Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel answered on May 10, 2021

No one can enter your home without consent. That being said, you may not be entitled ultimately to all items.

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for New York on
Q: I’m caregiver/longtime (40 years) companion for a man w/advanced cancer. He’s verbally abusing/lyin about me. What do I

He told palliative care nurse that I’m stealing from his bank account. I have Power of Attorney but haven’t touched his $. He fell out of bed & has bruises. I’m afraid I’ll be accused of elder abuse. What protections do I have. Can I refuse to let him come back to the home we live in... Read more »

Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz answered on May 4, 2021

The question of what you can or should do is not something that can be answered that easily. You should consult with an attorney, who can get the information necessary to properly guide you. Questions you should be prepared to answer will include what your relationship is to the man and who is the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Michigan on
Q: My father in law is gifting us money for a new home. It is over $80,000. I know we will have to fill out a tax form.

Will he have to pay gift tax or only after he exceeds lifetime amount. Also, we are his caregivers and he will move into this house with us

Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow answered on May 3, 2021

Contact a tax attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Texas on
Q: If I have medical and durable POA for my grandma with dementia, can I decide for her where she lives?

I got POA 4 years ago. She was diagnosed with dementia 3 years ago. Her husband has passed away. Her doctors (primary, cardiologist, and neurologist) say she cannot live alone, but she wants to stay at home. I cannot live with her (I am married with 3 kids of my own). Besides the dementia, she has... Read more »

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter answered on Apr 26, 2021

You can certainly provide her with a place to live, but you can't force her to live there. A power of attorney authorizes you to act for her, but doesn't give you the right to control her - for that you would need a guardianship. Her condition may or may not support having a guardian appointed.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Personal Injury, Elder Law and Wrongful Death for California on
Q: Can attorney for deceased mother be relieved by (uninvolved) uncle if daughter refuses release him?

Attorney for mother who suffered abuse and injury that led to death requested that court relieve him from duty and was denied. The daughter who brought the case refuses to release him. Attorney then contacted the uncle and something was discussed. We were just informed by attorney that he... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Apr 26, 2021

Why would you want an attorney to continue to work for you or your mother despite that attorney clearly wishing to resign? How zealous do you think that attorney will be for your cause if you are forcing him to perform against his will? Slavery comes to mind.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Colorado on
Q: can the courts force the sale of a multigenerational home held in joint tenancy upon demand by one of the four owners?

Mother in law has retained an attorney who is threatening court ordered forced sale under CRS 38-28-101. @ closing, she signed an affidavit stating she would not require repayment in part or in whole for the assistance with the down payment on 12-07-2016. Since the closing, she has moved in 2X and... Read more »

Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby answered on Apr 25, 2021

Is it possible for a 1/4th owner to force the sale of the property. In general, yes. But, you and the other partners may have defenses. You should contact an attorney to discuss the facts in detail and to potentially have an attorney respond to the attorney demand letter showing that you do not... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for Tennessee on
Q: If my father's life insurance is paid to my mother's estate can it be taken by creditors my parents owed money to?

My father had a life insurance policy with prudential that named my mother as primary beneficiary and me and my brother as contingent beneficiaries. My parents passed from covid within 22 hours of each other. My father passed 1st and my mother 2nd surviving him by 22 hours on a ventilator. After... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Apr 25, 2021

You are correct on both accounts. If your mom did not survive your dad by at least 120 hours, then she is deemed to have predeceased him. That would leave his children as the sole heirs of his estate (having died without a will). The insurance proceeds should be paid to you and your other... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Elder Law for Florida on
Q: My mom's legal rights to her half of the profit from their home he refuses to let her have her half of the $$

My step dad does not like my mom's family and he refuses to let my mom do what she wants with her half of the profit from selling their home..what's her legal rights to her half of the profit.

Nicole Vette
Nicole Vette answered on Apr 25, 2021

Is they are divorcing then she would likely get half the proceeds. If there is not a divorce then the proceeds will be wired to a joint account or an account the parties designate. Thereafter, there would be no rules on how the money is spent because the courts are not involved. Your mother would... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law for Ohio on
Q: Do I file a claim for a whole life ins. policy that was owned by my stepmother who was receiving Medicaid assistance?

My stepmother was in a nursing home which was partially paid for by Medicaid. She recently passed away. She had a small whole life insurance policy (under $10,000) that the social worker knew about when they helped her apply for Medicaid assistance. The policy value was over $8000 at the time.... Read more »

Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq answered on Apr 22, 2021

Life insurance proceeds are exempt from Ohio Medicaid Estate Recovery, if payable to an individual beneficiary.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Elder Law for Maryland on
Q: I have a joint account with my father, he is requiring nursing home stay, can they deplete the account?

I was just informed that the c0-pay for the nursing home will be $170 per day. We have about $8000 in the account. Can they take all the money in the account?

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Apr 22, 2021

Depends on the original source of the money, and when your name was put on the account. I assume your father needs to qualify for Medicaid to pay the nursing home care, and to do so Medicaid requires that your father use his own assets until he has paid down to the level necessary to receive... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Elder Law for Texas on
Q: How do i get a civil suit fees waived in harris county for elderly who has been financially exploited

She was scammed into a transmission rebuild after the company already had her car and apart got the back took to another shop who said the transmission has not been rebuilt they replaced a censor and new fluid and charged her 3000.$ and the transmission is acting the way it to start with she was... Read more »

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Apr 18, 2021

File an Affidavit of Inability to Pay Costs.

2 Answers | Asked in Elder Law for Ohio on


Moshe Toron Esq
Moshe Toron Esq answered on Apr 18, 2021

It would probably make sense to put the house into a trust in order to avoid some of these issues.

Depending on your goals, it might be a revocable trust or it might be an irrevocable trust.

You should definitely consult with an attorney for this before doing anything.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Elder Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Colorado on
Q: My sister is trying to remove my name from a death certificate so she can deal with finances without permission?
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III answered on Apr 15, 2021

I'm not sure what difference the death certificate makes. In Colorado, the Personal Representative controls disposition of the decedent's assets. The Personal Representative is appointed by the probate court. It usually is whomever is named as PR by the will. If no will, then the PR is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Elder Law and White Collar Crime for Oregon on
Q: how do I find out if a wrongful death claim was filed against an employer many years ago, IF THE EMPLOYER KEPT THIS

SETTLEMENT VERY QUITE, There has to be a way of digging this up, But how if this employer kept this hush-hush

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Apr 10, 2021

An Oregon attorney could answer best, but your post remains open for two weeks. As a general matter nationwide, some unified court systems display cases online. Some systems might require registration to use their resources. That would be if the matter was filed as a lawsuit with an index number.... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.