Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Kenny D. Nguyen
3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and DUI / DWI for California on
Q: I have been ordered to pay victim restitution due to a DUI for over $24,000 due to their attorney fees.

My insurance settled their injury claim for below my policy limit and they signed a document saying they can no longer pursue me. The document also says it includes their attorney fees. Can the restitution fee be lowered?

Kenny D. Nguyen
Kenny D. Nguyen pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Feb 26, 2024

In California, the restitution amount likely cannot be lowered. However, there might be hope in your case. First, the $24,000 amount is probably the contingency fee amount (usually 1/3 of the victim's total settlement amount) paid to the personal injury attorney for representing the victim in... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.