Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Car Accidents Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for Ohio on

Q: I was given a settlement due to a car accident. Today when I was called in to get my check, I was told I needed to sign

the full settlement check first and they would need to deposit it into their account and wait for it to clear before I would be issued my check. Is this normal?

Matthew S Flemming answered on Aug 23, 2019


View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on

Q: I ran a red light because a fire truck honked at me to move and another car hit me. Who is at fault?

I ran red light cautiously, all other cars were stopped at intersection except one car who didn’t notice the sirens and kept driving. Fire truck kept honking until I moved so I felt forced.

William John Light answered on Aug 22, 2019

If you were hit by another car, you didn't run the light that "cautiously."

However, cross traffic has a duty to yield if an emergency vehicle has at least one red lamp lit, and the siren is sounding. Vehicle Code section 21806. It sounds like the other driver violated that statute....
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for South Carolina on

Q: Could I use the estimate that includes all of the damage done to my vehicle by the at fault party?

I was in an accident on Thursday, August 8, at approximately 3:12PM. The insurance company listed on the FR-10 form is an insurance company that the owner hasn't had insurance with since 2018. The owner listed on the FR-10 form is not the real owner of the vehicle. I know that to be true due to the... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 22, 2019

From what you've said, I don't see why not. However if the case is as you have stated, have you told the police so that they may investigate? If the person in fact has no insurance, in many states their license can be suspended if they refuse to pay.

As to the second estimate, you may use...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Car Accidents on

Q: My dog hit by a car and his die on my own eye. What should i do?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 22, 2019

I am sorry for your loss, however you haven't said what you would like to know. If your dog was loose, you may have a claim made against you for damage to the vehicle, and may wish to notify your homeowners. Your state is not identified. If your question is do you have a claim, you would have to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Lemon Law for Virginia on

Q: Is the shop responsible for towing if work performed incorrectly and car breaks down after leaving shop

Jay Braddock Jackson answered on Aug 21, 2019

Yes, the shop should pay for the tow, if the breakdown is due to the incorrect repair. If the breakdown is due to the original problem, and the repair was ineffective, that may be more difficult. If you took the car in for a repair and they told you that it was completely repaired, then you should... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for New York on

Q: i have a auto accident case in onondoga county. I need trial attorney . pls provide name and contact pls

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

Find an attorney in the county who is a member of the NY State Trial Lawyers Assn--they give free consults, and focus their practices on injury cases.

Good luck!

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law, Libel & Slander and Wrongful Death for Texas on

Q: Where and how could I find the copy of a thirty year old out of court settlement resulting from a wrongful death case?

Almost thirty years ago, my husband died in a car accident in which I was badly hurt too. A wrongful death case was brought against the party responsible and eventually settled out of court. Now, the brothers of my deceased husband have filed a criminal case in another country against myself,... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

if it was an estate then the estate would have been set up in the county where it happened. That would have shown if there were heirs.

In most states, and I believe in Texas, the spouse gets everything unless there are children. Brothers get zero. That's if there is no will. Even if there...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Civil Litigation and Lemon Law for North Carolina on

Q: A dealer wiped the error codes from a car we were looking to buy, claiming it was perfectly functioning.

He also claimed it wasn’t in a collision . A pre purchase inspection found it was falling apart, many codes hidden, and there was evidence of it having been in a collision. Is this legal in NC?

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

No, it violates federal and likely state laws. If someone bought it they need to contact the consumer division of the AG's office.

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for New York on

Q: wrongful death auto car accident lawsuit

- Mr.A got into an auto car accident and a pedestrian got killed unfortunately

- lawsuit of wrongful death lawsuit is brought against Mr.A.

- if the case is settled for X amount and still the balance is remained after insurance payment, can they come after Mr.A's business for... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 20, 2019

Not clear what you are asking ---if you mean after the car insurance pays, they will likely also look for coverage from the business insurance. The attorney's main interest is in insurance--for the most part, they aren't interested in someone's business except to the extent that means more... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for New York on

Q: Hi I am Sadaat, I have a Auto vehicle case in Onondaga county , I need a trial Attorney, Pls provide contact no

Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 19, 2019

Hello Sadaat. I'm sorry about your accident. I hope you were not seriously injured. In terms of selecting an attorney, that is something you can do as your own free choice. We only answer questions here. New York injury attorneys generally work on a contingency basis, and most offer free initial... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Georgia on

Q: Im 17 and received my first citation for improper left turn. Do I still have to go to court even if I pay the citation?

I got into a car accident which was my fault and then received the citation

Titus Thomas Nichols answered on Aug 17, 2019

It depends on if the citation was the result of a car wreck. If another vehicle was involved many times the court will require you to appear in court and address restitution. However, if it is just a citation for improper left turn, then you will be allowed to merely pay the fine in lieu of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Oregon on

Q: His car was not damaged at all but the other car was. The guy scared me into saying it was my fault saying If I didn’t

He was going to call police and me without a license didn’t know what to do. So he told his insurance as well as my boyfriends insurance it was my fault. So now I am so scared and don’t know what to do. A claim has been filled with both insurance company’s.

Joanne Reisman answered on Aug 16, 2019

I think you are responding to questions I asked you when I posted a response to a question you posted earlier but I really can't tell for sure as this post is not linked to the prior post. Please understand that the Attorneys who respond don't know who you are and don't work for Justia. We just... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Oregon on

Q: I just got into a car accident and I do not have a ODL it is suspended:( I was driving my boyfriends car with insurance

I stayed and talked with the person and we contacted insurance company’s. But what do I do now?

Joanne Reisman answered on Aug 16, 2019

Definitely tell your boyfriend's insurance. They will probably cover the accident if you had permission to drive his car and your are not a member of his household. If you are a member of his household meaning you live with him, there may be a clause in the policy which excludes members of the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Arkansas on

Q: If someone clearly is the cause of an accident and has insurance, hits an uninsured person and causes injury and totals

their car, is the insured person that caused the accident still responsible for the injuries and totalled car of the uninsured person?

Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 16, 2019

Yes. The fact that the victim didn't have insurance does not absolve the driver who was at fault. However, depending on the jurisdiction, remedies of the victim could be limited if they did not carry insurance. Also, they could face penalties for driving uninsured. You would need to consult with an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on

Q: Minor car wreck, police report says "charges pending". How do I find out if formal charges are ever actually filed?

Lee Eidelberg answered on Aug 15, 2019

Depending on the charge(s) and the jurisdiction, you could receive a notice to appear at a "preliminary inquiry," which requires one to report to a court commissioner to be formally advised of one's charges, one's right to an attorney and other pertinent information. This generally occurs when... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Maryland on

Q: I was involved in a property damage crash with a parked car and the police rep says "Charges Pending". What is that?

Mark Oakley answered on Aug 15, 2019

When police do not witness the crash, but are called upon to investigate the circumstances, they may decide to cite the driver with applicable violations of the traffic laws after evaluating the evidence.

3 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on

Q: My friend accidently backed into a parked car when trying to park. He got out to assess any damage to either car and...


Dale S. Gribow answered on Aug 14, 2019

more info needed.

he should probably report to police explaining there was no damage but his friend said he should tell the police in case the guy ALLEGES DAMAGE

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Missouri on

Q: I struck a pedestrian with my vehicle and he has passed away. Can I be charged?

He ran out in front of my vehicle. He was not in a crosswalk. I later found out that he had been drinking

Ronald J. Eisenberg answered on Aug 14, 2019

You can indeed. It sounds like you have some defenses.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for South Carolina on

Q: I've found myself in a confusing situation between an Auto repair shop, insurance company, and car rental company.


Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 14, 2019

It looks like there wasn't a question here - it's possible it inadvertently got left off. However, if you are having issues with these aspects of your case, an experienced South Carolina attorney who handles personal injury could give guidance on the property damage claim and your rental rights as... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.