Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Robert Tyler Bezilla
1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law and Criminal Law for Virginia on
Q: My wife was charged with Dom Vio on me. Our oldest son was present. It was a small incident that got out of control.

What can I do to drop charges? It’s her first offense. What should we be expecting?

Robert Tyler Bezilla
Robert Tyler Bezilla
answered on Apr 25, 2023

In Virginia the Commonwealth Attorney decides whether to drop the charges in court. That said, they will listen to your wishes as the "victim." Under the Va code and the Va constitution they have to seek your input before disposing of a case. You will get a chance to tell them you want... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.