Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Eduardo J. Mejias

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Florida on

Q: Can my husband of almost 20 yrs. just pick up and desert me? No kids. I'm in my 60s. He has all the money

Eduardo J. Mejias answered on Apr 22, 2014

In Florida a spouse can obtain a divorce without a specific reason. However, you may be able to extract alimony from him. A court might also order your husband to pay your attorney's fees.

If you have any questions about a divorce, I encourage you to call me and scheudule a free consultation.

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Florida on

Q: My child's father haven't see her in 4 yrs stop paying child support and now file for timeshare for my 12 yrs old.

He know where we live and been invited to my house by my husband but he refuses. He treating to take my daughter away after he got married in order to stop paying child support. My daughter visited for his wedding and was left alone she had to call the police. My husband raised my daughter for 10... Read more »

Eduardo J. Mejias answered on Apr 17, 2014

I want to add that you can file a counter-petition that asks for retroactive chlid support. However, if there already exists an judicial order estabilshing a child support amount, you should file a motion for contempt against the father. If the court finds the father in contempt, you will probably... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Florida on

Q: Dcf was called with allegations of drug use in my home . I'm told to go take urine drug test . What r my rights

Eduardo J. Mejias answered on Apr 16, 2014

Normally, when DCF pays you a visit, its because the other parent complained of a real or perceived threat to the child(ren)'s welfare. Even worse, the other parent may just be seeking leverage in his/her family law case against you.

Fortunately, unless a judicial order compels you take a...
Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Florida on

Q: What do me and my daughters mother need to do when we are getting married and I pay support for my daughter?

Eduardo J. Mejias answered on Apr 15, 2014

You need to file what is referred to as a Supplemental Petition for Modification of Child Support. Basically, you are requesting a termination of your child support obligation due to the substantial change in cirumstance of your marriage to the mother of your child.

Please keep in mind that...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.