Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Barry Lee Frager
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Michigan on
Q: Is it ok for someone who has a green card to be in a relationship with someone (not married but in a relationship)?

Im dating someone who has their green card now. He has never wanted to put that we're in a relationship on his social media. When I ask why, he says it's because immigration checks his social media and messages and when he had first got caught by them (before he had his green card &... Read more »

Barry Lee Frager
Barry Lee Frager answered on Jul 22, 2020

There seems to be more going on in this fact pattern than you are aware. A unmarried green card holder should have no fear dating anyone he wants to date. Unless, he obtained his green card through a fake marriage, I am not sure why he would be so nervous about his social media reflecting that he... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law on
Q: How long newish naturalized citizen should wait to remarry after divorce?

I divorced 3.5 months after naturalization. I want to remarry ( non US citizen, she is from EU), and I wonder how long after divorce is “appropriate “ time to wait to remarry? Thank you!

My first spouse and I stayed in a very good relation, and our marriage was bona fide, however,... Read more »

Barry Lee Frager
Barry Lee Frager answered on Jul 22, 2020

There is no particular test that you must follow. USCIS will use their own "smell test", as I call it. If Immigration thinks that your first marriage was held together solely for you to get a green card and then three years later for you to apply for Naturalization, they will... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: I have 10 years green card got it through marriage but divorced after 2 years after of green card apply for citizenship

I'm a permanent resident and got divorced 2 years after getting my 10 years green card. I got my green card through my husband and also have a child after marriage.

But now i am divorced and separated.

I will apply for naturalization after completing 5 years residency but a... Read more »

Barry Lee Frager
Barry Lee Frager answered on Jul 22, 2020

Based on the information that you provided, you should not have a problem filing for Naturalization. The primary difference on Naturalization eligibility for you is that you must wait until you have had the green card for 5 years instead of 3 years. It would be 3 years if you remained married and... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.