San Francisco, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: My husband unjustly was fired by a california state prison. what recourse does he have?

If you have additional details about your question fill them here

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aryeh Leichter
Aryeh Leichter
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: As a government employee, your husband is entitled to certain rights but also must abide by certain requirements that do not pertain to employees in the private sector. For instance, he may be protected from termination without cause under the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (“CSRA”) (5 USC § 7513) or expressly protected by statute such as the California Whistleblower Protection Act (Govt C §§8547-8547.12). Further, he is entitled to a due process hearing before termination called a “Skelly hearing.” (see Skelly v State Personnel Bd. (1975) 15 C3d 194, 124 CR 14). However, there is also a requirement that he file a government tort claim before bringing a suit for wrongful termination in violation of public policy, which, with certain exceptions, must be filed within six (6) months of the date of your husband’s termination.

If your husband is a member of a union, he will want to consult with his union representative as soon as possible. If not, I would suggest he go to (California Employment Lawyers Association) and do a member search for attorneys in his area with whom he can consult.

Best of luck,

Ari Leichter

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.