Bixby, OK asked in Consumer Law for California

Q: How do I know if this call is fake or true? I did nothing wrong but they said I did.

My husband and I did something stupid. We filed for a payday loan on-line. They called our home to verify the information we gave them but they were not able to give us a loan big enough to fix our situation. We told them to forget it. We financed our truck instead. I am now getting calls from a very rude lawyer who says I have been turned over to a federal court in California for not paying this loan back. The money they say was wired directly to my checking account. They do have all that information but we never had money wired to our account and we declined the loan. I have bank statements proving they did not wire any money. They won't even let me send them to them. I live in Oklahoma and they said I had to go to California to appear in front of a federal judge. PayDay loan is the one who says they gave us the loan, but they did not give us any money and I can't go to California. What is going on, I don't understand.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Ridley
Eric Ridley
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Port Hueneme, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unless you have been served with a complaint by a process server, you are most likely not required to appear anywhere. They are trying to strong-arm you. Make copies of all of the relevant paperwork and mail it to their corporate offices, certified mail, return receipt requested. Usually that will clear up your problem. If you have been served with a complaint, you need to discuss your situation with an attorney immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.