Roseville, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: I am 64 years old and an insurance agent. I have an insurance company saying I owe the $25,000 plus for a commission 200

2003 commission. I don't agree with this at all but they have turned it over to an attorneys office for collection. Is there a clinic or someway I can get advice ???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Glen D. Duvel
Glen D. Duvel
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: At first glance, the fact that the purported commission is from 2003 seems to make the action outside the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is the time frame in which a lawsuit can be filed. The statute of limitations for a breach of written contract (assuming that is what this is) is 4 years. Depending on why they claim you owe the money, they may not be able to collect it (even if you do owe it) if it is outside the statute of limitations. If you do want advice, the Legal Aid Society may be able to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.