Bowie, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: My mother passed in 2010. I am the Legal rep of her estate. In 2003 she refinaced her home putting me on the deed as

Joint tenent. Deed was never filed in MD. Settlement and mortgage company is no longer around. I want to file the deed but they won't file unless I have the orig. Current morthage company keeps sending copy and says that the settlement company has the orig. They are gone. Can I create a deed and petiion the court to file the deed?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

David Thomas Wagner

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It is possible that title company's title insurance underwriter or an owner of the title company still has the files and the original deed although given that it was 7 years ago it is unlikely. More information is needed to determine your course of action. Do you have a copy of the signed, notarized deed? Did you sign the deed of trust?

You should consult with an attorney to determine your best course of action. I can be of assistance.

This response is intended only as general information and is not intended as nor does it serve as legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been established between the poster and the responding attorney. The poster is advised to retain counsel of their own choosing before undertaking or not undertaking any actions.

Thomas C. Valkenet

  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: This is a very common issue. If the lender's deed of trust named you and your mom, it is likely that it was not recorded, either. The lender will make claim on its title insurer, who will hire someone like me to go to court and impose the lien.

You can also file to quiet title, but see if the lender's insurer will bear the expense, first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.