Fort Washington, MD asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland

Q: A family member has sold property and wants all the proceeds to go to me is this legal

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

David Thomas Wagner

  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It is certainly legal although more information is required to determine if that is something your should entertain. Is the family attempting to hide assets from creditors or a spouse? If your family member is just being nice then the funds would likely be considered a gift which could have negative tax implications for the donor. If it is not a gift then it could have negative tax implications for you.

More information is needed to fully answer the question.

This response is intended only as general information and is not intended as nor does it serve as legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been established between the poster and the responding attorney. The poster is advised to retain counsel of their own choosing before undertaking or not undertaking any actions.

Thomas C. Valkenet

  • Baltimore, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: It is legal if that family member had all rights to sell, and has the free will and capacity to pass the proceeds to you. But that is the first half of the transaction. Now you must determine what the tax benefits/consequences are for both of you, whether there are medicare planning issues for the family member, and a few other things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.