Carson, VA asked in Personal Injury for Virginia

Q: Can I file a personal injury lawsuit against a county in the state of virginia for a dangerous sidewalk?

Fall on a uneven sidewalk

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers
Terrence Rubino
Terrence Rubino

A: maybe. you need to call a virginia lawyer who does injury cases. in indiana the answer is a definite yes and we have been involved on both ends, suing and defending. against governmental agencies there are usually short time limitations so don't delay. good luck.

A: You should contact a personal injury attorney who represents "slip, trip & fall" cases. If you were injured due to the negligence on the part of the county for failing to keep the sidewalk in a reasonable and safe condition, you may have a valid claim. Don't let too much time pass and be sure to get appropriate medical care and document both your accident and your medical care.

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: As a practical matter, you can file but your chances of prevailing are not good due to the "open and obvious" rule. This means if there is an obvious uneven sidewalk then you may be able to recover for tripping over it. Many attorneys will not take slip and fall cases. Also, there are special time limits for suing counties in Virginia so you should check with an attorney on this right away,

This is meant to be general information and is not meant to be legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.