Oroville, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: Hi I want to change my last name back after divorce ..What form or forms do I need and general cost to file? thanks !!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Calderon Garrett
Linda Calderon Garrett
  • Suisun City, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Depending on how long ago the divorce was finalized, there is a remote change that someone can go back to family court to request the name change. For example, did the original Petition or Answer check the box for a request for name change? If so, then this issue has not been resolved. That would be the quickest and cheapest way to proceed.

If the former option is not available, then an individual submit a petition for name change. All forms are available at the Judicial council's website. google "Judicial Council of California."

Some attorneys assist with preparing the forms; therefore, consider all your options before taking the next step. Also, many attorneys provide 20-30 minute free consultations. Recommend you speak to an attorney on this issue. He/she may be able to steer you in the right direction before you take the next step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.