Lake Arrowhead, CA asked in Divorce for California

Q: DIVORCE...what do u do if u can't afford an attorney???

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Diana L. Martinez
Diana L. Martinez
  • Chino, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Too often, people CAN afford an attorney, they just don't want to. When this is the case, understand that this can lead to later, very costly problems.

If you qualify (and they do review your financial disclosures and supporting documents), you may be able to get free legal aid - you will have to research such agencies in your area. There is the Harriet Buhai center in Los Angeles and Inland Valley Justice Center in San Bernardino county.

You may also, if possible, retain an attorney to bring a motion for attorneys fees so that the court can order your spouse to pay all or a portion of your legal fees. But there is no guarantee that you will succeed on this. You will have to talk to an attorney first - many offer free initial consults or a small fee (less than their hourly rate). It is well worth the investment.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.