Redding, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Local police dept & calif doj screwed up my backgr ck causing a 3 month delay in results for a job. Employer stayed with

Me during repeated finger print., etc. Report was suppose to be mailed on Dec 18 2012--still no answer. I am 72 yrs old have wrked for over 50 yrs in Calif--I believe I have been treated unfairly & with discrimination-- I have been an upstanding citizen--never arrested,lived in Redding for almost 50 yrs. Was willing to take min wage--16 hrs a wk job & give up over $1600 a mo in UI bene, to get my foot in the door. Should I sue or ? This has caused great stress. I am married, my husband has worked over 50 yrs too, but has been very ill for 2 yrs--we have soc security & 401K only, so any little extra income helps. I don't think the employer will wait any longer for report, she's been patient. The gov non-profit she heads up requires bkgr ck. This has been stressful for her as she has known me for 20 yrs. This all has made me feel like I was a criminal, or my ID was taken? Doj informed me by email that I had no right to question my bkgr ck--only the agency could.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam J. Krolikowski
Adam J. Krolikowski pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Santa Ana, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You must present your claim against each of the government entities within 6 months of the date of the incident if you want to sue. You can do that concurrently with seeking a writ of mandamus to compel them to complete the background check. Contact an attorney as soon as possible to prevent missing your statutes of limitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.