Tucson, AZ asked in Employment Law for California

Q: If you sleep with your employer can she fire you because you break up. If she still owes you a years wages?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Hill
Benjamin Hill
  • Woodland Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There's two questions here. First, can she fire you? Assuming that you're an "at will" employee, the answer is likely yes. Second, can she refuse to pay your wages? The answer is a clear no. Once an employee has earned his/her wages, the wages belong to the employee. Consider filing a wage claim with Labor Commissioner or seek a contingency attorney to file a civil complaint. For more information about when wages are due, please visit -- http://employerdefenseattorney.com/pay-days/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.