Napa, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: Can an employer change my employment status from F/T Perm. Employee to Independent Contractor w/o my consent or contract

Because he was experiencing financial difficulties, my employer changed my status to Independent Contractor. I never signed a contractor or agreed to this change. He also had several partners contribute to my salary which meant I had to chase down my money each month, and I was not always successful. I'd worked as a F/T Employee for 4 years prior to this change. Further, he refused to pay me for work not performed according to his terms and in his office, this goes against the laws of being an I.C. Please help me understand if this is legal and what action I should take.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Hill
Benjamin Hill
  • Woodland Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Even when there is a written agreement stating that someone is an independent contractor, California may still consider that person an employee. An employer who intentionally misclassifies someone as an independent contractor faces civil liability to the employees and at least $5k in penalties from the state. For more info on this issue, please visit --

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.