Empire, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: What can i do? previous employer went bankrupt leaving CA, back to TN, owing me 40 hrs O.T. 30 hrs D.T.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Hill
Benjamin Hill
  • Woodland Hills, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, corporate bankruptcy is a common occurrence. When you write "previous employer went bankrupt leaving CA," do you mean that the corporation actually filed a petition for bankruptcy protection. If they did file a bankruptcy petition you would be considered an unsecured priority creditor but would not likely collect on your claims. Many employers claim that they have/will file for bankruptcy as a way discouraging employee lawsuits but never don't actually do it. I suggest filing a wage claim with the Labor Commissioner or seeking a contingency attorney to file a civil complaint on your behalf. For more information on employment law topics, please visit -- http://employerdefenseattorney.com/blog/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.