Germantown, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: Can I sponsor my grandmother for legal residency if parent is dead?

My grandmother in her 80s; she is retired and therefore not seeking employment nor full citizenship. Her son (my father) died before my mother and I immigrated to the US. My mother is now remarried. I am my grandmother's only direct relative with American citizenship.Can I sponsor her for legal residency?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
Bruce Brian Dizengoff
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA

A: It is wonderful that you are interested in trying to sponsor your elderly grandmother. However, the grandparent / grandchild relationship unfortunately does not result in eligibility for family sponsored lawful permanent residence.

Perhaps your grandmother could benefit from another approach. For example, your grandmother may be eligible to enter the United States as a visitor for pleasure with a B-2 non-immigrant visa.

You would be well advised to consult with a licensed attorney who specializes in immigration and nationality law, for a full analysis of potential solutions that may benefit your grandmother. Best of luck to you both!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.