Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maryland Immigration Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I get a greencard if there's a peace order or harassment charges filed against me?
Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Mar 15, 2021

More information is needed. Did you violate an order of protection and now have a conviction? Were you arrested by police? Were you served a document that requires you to stay away from someone?

I strongly recommend an appointment or Zoom Conference with a competent and experienced...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: I filled I-485 based on K1 visa, I got it back rejected due to incorrect payment, but my visa expired. What should I do?

Can I just send same documents with correct payment? Or should we add form I-130 as well? Thank you.

Agnes Jury
Agnes Jury answered on Mar 3, 2021

You should follow the instructions in the letter that was included with the package that was sent back to you. You should not need to add the I-130. Best wishes!

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: How can I fill my i-160 form for F1 visa application where my grandmother had submitted an N-400 with my name on it?

My grandmother filed an N-400(she's now a citizen) with my name on it as an adopted child but there is no adoption decree and I am over 21, but I do have a legal adoption decree from my home country with my aunt's(a US citizen) name on it , I submitted an I-160 for B2 visa and indicated... Read more »

Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga answered on Jan 29, 2021

You do not say why your application for a B1/B2 visa was denied. Such reasons may not impact an application for an F1 visa.

You should put the information relative to the woman who is your legal mother. If your aunt legally adopted you in your home country, that’s who you should put.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: FI STEM extension going to expire but didn't receive the receipt yet. Can you work on expired EAD and endorsed I-20
Nina Frances Juncewicz
Nina Frances Juncewicz answered on Jan 12, 2021

Please check the code on your EAD card as the following categories are generally eligible le for 180-day automatic extension are A03, A05, A07, A08, A10, C08, C09, C10, C16, C20, C22, C24, C31, and A12 or C19. The eligible categories are published on the USCIS Automatic EAD Extension page.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: i am a minor in the fostercare system and i want to know how to get my permit and passport without bein a citizen

i am undocumented

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Oct 8, 2020

You need to speak with your social worker. The State should be helping you with this.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Immigration Law and Tax Law for Maryland on
Q: Can I get a driver's license in Maryland as an illegal alien who has been in the US only for a year?

Hello everyone,

I have been living in the US for just a year now. I entered with a b1 visa and overstayed it. I am aware that it is illegal but as an African, I didn't have any real chances of obtaining a residency in the US.

That said, I work hard every day hoping my American... Read more »

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley answered on Oct 3, 2020

Yes. Maryland repealed the requirement to prove legal status in the US in order to obtain a driver’s license; however, a license obtained by an illegal immigrant is not the same as a license obtained by someone with legal status. They look similar, but it is not a legal form of identification for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: How much is the consultation

for green card and passport

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Sep 25, 2020

Consultation fee depends on several factors like the attorney, the area and sometimes the issue. Its best to reach out to the particular lawyer you would like to retain.

At my law firm, we offer competitive prices and payment plans. Get in touch with me to discuss your immigration questions.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: I am a us citizen I have been with an illegal immigrant for over 10 years we wanted to get legally married dont know how

He came here over 20 years ago no papers and I want to marry legally and he wants to become a us citizen is this possible and how do you do it?

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Sep 5, 2020

A US citizen can sponsor an illegal alien spouse who entered the country legally for a green card despite the 20 year overstay. However if the alien entered the USA illegally then you can still sponsor him after marriage but you will need to file a waiver of inadmissibility to overcome the illegal... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: I would like to petition my father to become a lawful resident. He is currently living here in US. What are the steps?

What are the requirements? What forms of application should we file and in what order?

Mario Musil
Mario Musil answered on Sep 2, 2020

You should discuss the specifics of your situation with a qualified immigration lawyer to make sure all the requirements and qualifications are met, for example what is his current status and how long has he been here, what is your immigration status etc. If the requirements are met, generally you... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: I voted on Greet Card Mistakenly

back in 2014 I took My Green card and was in MVA to apply for my Drivers Licence ,

the Lady there register me for voting and explain to me that this is my right and responsibility now, I insisted that I'm not Citizen , but she assure me that this is OK as longer I dong Vote for... Read more »

Kyndra L Mulder
Kyndra L Mulder answered on Aug 27, 2020

I have had cases where clients were registered to vote by the DMV and were forgiven. However, I have never had a client that actually voted who was forgiven. When you receive an immigration status the government expects you to educate youself on the terms of your status and what violates that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: Currently have DACA, experienced domestic violence (it was a huge case taken to court) wondering if I qualify for VAWA?

And if VAWA would be better than DACA?

I’ve done some research but haven’t found anything for people in DACA situation.

Thank you in advanced

Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Aug 12, 2020

If you have been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a a U.S. citizen or LPR spouse or parent , you may be eligible for VAWA. If the VAWA request is granted by USCIS, you may also be able to obtain resident status.

DACA on the other hand is a temporary protection from deportation...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: My biological daughter age 14, born outside of USA and came in USA on 2016 . Is she eligible to file for Citizenship?

We both have green card and about to apply for citizenship application form N-400 . I have a biological child age, born outside of USA and came here in 2016 . Is she eligible to apply for CITIZENSHIP application with us ? is yes, what type of form she need to fill?

Matthew J Hartnett
Matthew J Hartnett answered on Aug 4, 2020

If you naturalize before she turns 18, and she lives with you and you have custody of her, she should automatically acquire citizenship pursuant to the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. But to make sure, please consult with an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: please help

i have a girlfriend who is 37 with 2 kids she came here three years ago but she never renew the visa so she can not get citzenship she is also married but she wants to divorce him but he threaten to take her kids and he said if she goes back to her country he will have her killed he even said he... Read more »

Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jul 15, 2020

There are international child abduction laws that would prohibit that. Your girlfriend needs to consult a family law lawyer to take steps to prevent that. Court orders in addition to placing a hold on her children’s passports etc are some of the steps to take. A family law lawyer needs to be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: How will the new covid-19 update from Trump administration for f-1 visa impact those with i-485 status?

Hello, I am currently an international student with f-1 visa. Our college has decided that we will first operate with a hybrid model, and then go fully online after Thanksgiving break. I am also in the process of achieving a green card (i-485 status) from my parents who are also holders of green... Read more »

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Jul 12, 2020

Hi, if you have already applied to adjust status, you are no longer considered an F1 student for the purpose of this new rule. This means that you can take your hybrid courses without worrying about leaving the U.S. or losing your F1 status. As a green card holder, you will be able to attend school... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: If I was to marry my fiancé of 2 yrs who is a US citizen but is on parole, will that affects me getting a green card?
Stephen Arnold Black
Stephen Arnold Black answered on Jun 20, 2020

It most likely will not unless his criminal history involves a crime under the Adam Walsh act. Also if he’s not currently employed, he can still sponsor you but he may need to enlist a joint financial sponsor who meets the minimum income levels to act as a joint sponsor.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: We are residing in the US on H1-B visa, And company is about to declare bankruptcy.

We’ve been residing in the US for the past 5 years, and now unexpectedly the company, most likely will declare chapter 7 bankruptcy. Can we still file for immigration?

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jun 17, 2020


View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: My I-485 was denied because I didn’t file I-864 along with it. In the denial letter it says Im not allowed to appeal.

Note that it also says that as at the time of my filing I was still legally present it the u.s. so I want to know the way forward.

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Jun 8, 2020

Good Morning, to answer your question properly, I will need more information. What was the basis of your I-485? Family, Work, Self Petition?

If you are not allowed to appeal, you may be able to file a motion to reopen and provide additional information needed.

You may also be able...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: Is limited divorce possible in Maryland for a G4 dependent visa holder since it implies separation while the

G4 visa requires to live under the same roof.

Rada A Machin
Rada A Machin answered on May 27, 2020

It is possible to technically live under the same roof and file for limited divorce. It is rare that this happens or that a court recognizes the separation but under the Ricketts v. Ricketts case, it may be possible to prove separation even while living under the same roof. The facts must fit,... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Juvenile Law for Maryland on
Q: I’m currently a student in Maryland and my dad left me around 2 years ago and I haven’t know nothing about my case since
Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on May 16, 2020

If you call our office Monday we can get more information and help you. Call 773 679 8613

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Maryland on
Q: I applied for asylum, i want to leave the country, didn’t get intervie yet, can my husband stay here without me?

I applied for asylum in US, now I want to leave because situation in mu country changed, but my husband doesn’t want to leave. Is it possible for him to stay if we divorce?

Robert Roy Klein
Robert Roy Klein answered on May 9, 2020

You can leave him here whether you divorce or not. He won't have his own asylum claim unless he files his own application.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.