Charleston, WV asked in Family Law for Virginia

Q: In virginia if I have sole custody of a child do I have to go to court to change the previous order?

Want to have joint custody with father. Have sole custody of child. Father was to take classes hasnt but he has changed and would be in best interest for child to reside with father. Do we have to go to court to grant each other joint custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tara  Candela R.N.
Tara Candela R.N.
  • Alexandria , VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: To have the order officially changed, yes. But unless there is something in the original order preventing your child from staying with his father, you could always test out your theory before making major changes. Seek a family law attorney out to evaluate the specifics of your case, and to give you the best guidance on how to go about addressing whatever change in circumstance has occurred before you do anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.