Culpeper, VA asked in Health Care Law, Personal Injury and Medical Malpractice for Virginia

Q: I fell out of a hospital bed, due to the nurse not putting the railing up. Do I need a negligence lawyer ?

On Saturday the 5th I was seen at a local hospital and the nurse assisted me in the bed and situated me on my left side because I was seen for pain on my right side. I did not know that she had not put the side railing back up, and when she came back in I went to reach for the railing on the right of me to pull myself up and it was not there causing me to fall onto the floor. I went in and got medical attention for what I found out what Gullstones but while there and due to falling out of the bed, and already having chronic back pains, I've been in more pain than ever and I went to get checked out at a different hospital the day after and I have a sprained ankle and a sling on my right arm because that was the side I fell on. I'm seeking a lawyer to examine my case and the facts and possibly tell me what steps I should take next.

2 Lawyer Answers

Adam Studnicki

  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ

A: This is a general q&a tool. To locate a lawyer, you can use the find a lawyer tool on this site.


Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Jan F Hoen

  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Hampton, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The answer to your question depends on the medical standard of care for a patient in your condition and with your history. A lawyer cannot render an opinion as to whether the staff was negligent without consulting an expert. Your injuries may not merit the cost of retaining one. You should collect your records and take them to a qualified attorney in your area for review. This site has a directory to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.