Laurel, MT asked in Family Law for Montana

Q: Do I have less rights to my children if I gave them their father - boyfriend - his last name?

He promised me we would be married when our son was born and that has not happened. I am pregnant currently with another child and he is the father, and he is threatening to leave and take the children with him. what are my rights? what should I do? I have MS and he is using that against me saying I cannot take care of them....Our children are 3 1/2 and 2.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Whether or not they have his surname has very little, if anything to do with what parental rights you have. The fact that you have MS may have some bearing, but not very much, probably.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.