Montana Family Law Questions & Answers

Q: We got a legal divorce six years ago that was simply a financial move, but we stayed together.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Answered on Mar 8, 2016
Mark Anderson's answer
You are better off to work it out in mediation. The court might order a sale if the property cannot be divided. At least in mediation, you know what you will get.

Q: Do I have less rights to my children if I gave them their father - boyfriend - his last name?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Answered on Oct 14, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Whether or not they have his surname has very little, if anything to do with what parental rights you have. The fact that you have MS may have some bearing, but not very much, probably.

Q: If the parenting plan has been vacated, then the custodial parent wants to reinstate the original plan, can he?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Montana on
Answered on Oct 13, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
You have to follow the court order. Get an attorney on your side swiftly.

Q: Can My spouse collect Alamony without it changing her SSDI

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Public Benefits for Montana on
Answered on Apr 10, 2015
Bradley Jay Jones' answer
Yes, SSDI is not tied to resource availability. If your wife were receiving SSI the alimony would count as a resource and likely disqualify her from receiving benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.