Tujunga, CA asked in Employment Law for California

Q: I have not recieved my final check from my previous employer, is there anything I can do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aryeh Leichter
Aryeh Leichter
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: An employer is obligated under the California Labor Code to pay a terminated employee all wages owed at the time and place of termination and an employee who quit all wages owed within seventy two (72) hours of the employee's resignation. An employer's willful refusal to pay these wages entitles the terminated/resigning employee a penalty of one day of wages for every day he or she is not paid, up to a maximum of thirty (30) days. You need to inform your former employer that you have not received your final paycheck if you haven't already done so. That will put them on notice. Please give me a call at (213) 381-6557 or email me at ari@leichterlawfirm.com if you wish to discuss the matter further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.