Ruther Glen, VA asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Virginia

Q: How do I help get the Domestic A&B charges dropped when I specifically told the magistrate she only wanted a 72hr order?

My husband and I got into an arguement and he broke some things(which I have also done in the past during an arugement). He needed to leave the house and calm down because it was a bad fight. When he grabbed a tv to pull the light bulb out of it I was standing in front and the tv fell off and hit me. When I asked the magistrate for a 72hr protective order, she said the police needed to get involved because i am a bail bondsman and had just written a bond at that jail earlier that day, the police officer took my statement and said he had to press charges against my husband bc I was hit by the tv. he went to jail. They have placed a no contact order until 4/12/16, my husband is living in his car and My kids and I r going to be evicted next week bc he was a stay at home dad and I cant work now. I told them I didnt want him to go to jail he was just angry and needed to calm down. Now my husband is looking at going to jail for a year, who do I talk to to get the charges dropped?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kristin Paulding
Kristin Paulding
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: The Commonwealth Attorney's Office in your jurisdiction will likely be prosecuting your husband. They will subpoena you for the case and you will be a witness to what happened. You can call their office and find out who is handling the case and ask to speak with them. Some jurisdictions will drop domestic violence charges when the victim requests it, others will not. You will need to speak with the prosecutor to see where they stand on the issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.