Fort Rucker, AL asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Employment Law and Public Benefits for Alabama

Q: I have been notified that my former employer is appealing the award of my unemployment benefits from the OESC.

My former employer has retained 3rd party help to represent them at the hearing. I assume they are lawyers. Do I need legal representation for this hearing? Also, I live in Alabama, but it is the OESC that is handling my claim.

1 Lawyer Answer
Marshall Jason Ray
Marshall Jason Ray
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Albuquerque, NM

A: Although Unemployment Insurance appeal hearings are typically less formal than a court setting, you could be at a considerable disadvantage if your employer has representation and you do not. The third party representing your employer is not necessarily an attorney, as non-lawyers are usually allowed to be third party representatives in most states' unemployment proceedings. Those representatives may be very experienced with unemployment hearings--there are companies that do nothing else besides representing employers in unemployment hearings. The hearing officer will try to get to the correct result regardless of the procedural skills and relative sophistication of the parties. Even so, if you are not represented, then you face increased risk. You might miss opportunities to object to improperly offered evidence. Or you might spend your time on irrelevant matters that do not help you win your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.