College Park, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: I have applied for my adjustment of status based on marriage to a US citizen. I was using a joint sponsor

For some reason, my joint sponsor couldn't provide me her tax returns, so I used my own income from my current job, with my husband to meet the income requirement. They had a condition, that if I am using my own income I had to provide a letter from my employer stating that i will keep my job after getting green card, which I did provide. A month from filing my application they still requested for evidence and asked me to provide my joint sponsors tax returns, which I did. So I am assuming that they did not consider my income maybe. My question is once I get my greencard, can I change my job and work for some other employer. If I am getting a job that pays me more than my current income, can I change my job or not?. It is really confusing and I really need help and advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Chere Sequeira
Dawn Chere Sequeira
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bethesda, MD

A: Since you are applying based on marriage, IF you get your green card, you can work anywhere. Note that USCIS will not count your wages if you worked "without authorized employment." Any income you earned must be with an EAD card or other authorized employment status. Hopefully your sponsor qualifies...otherwise your case will be denied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.