Bethesda, MD asked in Immigration Law for Maryland

Q: I am in US on B1/B2, If I adjust status on e2 investor visa, my visitor visa will stay there or will be revoked?


I have been to US on visitor visa before for tourism and to see my sister's family who are US citizens. She wants to file immigrant petition for me, that I understand a long road to go. I really like US and was thinking to invest in a business that my sister runs. (Child Care Facility). I am currently in US for summer. I am confused because If I apply for E2 investor from here to USCIS (i.e adjust status) through a lawyer from your firm :

- Does that effect my visitor visa , or my visitor visa will stay valid?

- if you get my e2 approved and I start my business with my sister (US citizen) here, can she also apply for immigrant visa for me while I keep my business going on e2 during wait times for F4 category.

- I don't want to bound myself to not to visit my home country since I have my property there. can any of the above scenario prohibit/abstain/or bound me to travel back and forth?

Many thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Dawn Chere Sequeira
Dawn Chere Sequeira
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bethesda, MD

A: You cannot hold 2 types of status (B2 and E-2 or green card). Assuming your sister's family petition is approved, since you will be "changing" status from B2 to E2, you must maintain the E-2 status until a visa number is available (right now it's about 12 years). Unlike asylum, you can travel on a B-2 and E-2 visa. Hire an immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.