Los Angeles, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: I signed my divorce decree almost 2 yrs ago while under extreme emotional distress. Is it too late to do ANYTHING??

I was divorced 8/25/2014 after 23 years of marriage. The day I put my signature on those paper's I had just gotten out of the hospital/treatment center for depression and anxiety. I was home no longer than 30 minutes when the papers where given to me and demanded to sign. I didn't even read it as I was still very sick and felt so low that I thought I deserved very little or nothing. Since the divorce, I have not received any Spousal whatsoever; my life has been completely financially and emotionally devastating as a result. I have also gone through several traumatic events that have and continue to change my life forever.

I was a stay at home mom for 22 years with no college education, depending on him as the provider. I turn to him countless times for any kind of relief, which he refuses every time. He has the house, vehicles, bank accounts, 401k..etc. While married, he purposely hid some of these things from me. He also falsified his income and more on the divorce decree.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan G. Cohen
Susan G. Cohen
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to contact an attorney as soon as possible about whether it is still possible after two years to challenge the Decree as the product of fraud or duress. Tragically you may have waited too long to challenge the Decree. But at least make the effort as soon as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.