Rock Falls, IL asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: My wife cheated on me. Am I likely to be granted primary custody?

I found out that my wife cheated on me. I am contemplating a divorce. I am curious how the court will split our home and single son. My son is adopted, he is also my cousin as he was born to my uncle who was unable to care for him. We are both employeed though I work a night shift and I am currently looking for daytime employment. What would the chances of being granted primary custody without seeking child support?

The house is in both names, though I put a lot of time, effort, and borrowed from my 401k to renovate.

3 Lawyer Answers

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Unfortunately, you have not provided enough facts upon which a lawyer can provide a proper answer. Every case is different, and a lawyer needs to know more particulars. However, suffice it to say, the adultery alone is not enough to warrant your getting custody. Consult in person with a local attorney to get the answers you deserve.

Cheryl Powell agrees with this answer

Jeff Hughes

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There is no pre-packaged answer to adultery. Consulting a divorce attorney is your next move.

Trisha Festerling


A: The answer to this requires much more than just adultery. I'd recommend consulting a family law attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.