Goleta, CA asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for California

Q: What action can residents take when SBMC Title 28 public notice requirements are violated by officials to obtain grant $

Santa Barbara Municipal Code Title 28 requires public notice mailed from the city of Santa Barbara to all homeowners within 300 ft. of a proposed project. The issue of why no notice was given was addressed to City Council prior to approval of the proposal (closing out main street to thru vehicle traffic and turning it into a bike lane) Chino Bike Blvd. The city atty. stated that meetings were held and notice to attend meetings was posted. Noone was informed prior to approval except a few people calling themselves the Westside Community Group who misrepresented our community and unknowingly broke the law. This is not only unethical but an illegal means of attaining huge grant funds from CalTrans, the State of California Transportation Commission.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Brooklyn, NY
  • Licensed in California

A: Do you have evidence that the notice was not actually posted? If so, you may file a complaint about the city council's actions with the city. That is the first step in addressing a grievance: an administrative complaint. Thereafter, if your grievance is not satisfactorily resolved, you may consider filing suit. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.