Charlotte, NC asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for North Carolina

Q: I am a 17 year old girl who is dating a 20 year old man. I turn 18 in 6 months.

My mom and her boyfriend do not approve of us. We hang out and still see each other so my mom has said she is going to file charges against him and take us to court. I would like to know if we're doing anything wrong? Or if there is anything I need to know about laws to keep us from trouble?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you are disobeying your mother - then yes, you are doing something wrong. However, the more important question is is whether your boyfriend is doing anything legally wrong. Basically, the only thing your mother can legally do is keep you at home and prevent him from trespassing - maybe get a restraining order. But in 6 months when you turn 18 - she won't be able to legally do anything.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.