Green Bay, WI asked in Consumer Law and Health Care Law for Wisconsin

Q: My son (age 17) was committed to a mental health against our will, am I responsible for these bills?

We did not agree to have him committed and I told the officer my insurance does not cover mental health, but they took him anyway, now we have $4500 in bills for a two day stay. We did not sign any permission slips of any kind.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: It's an emergency hospitalization and most insurance would cover that even if labeled mental health. If it doesn't it may violate the ACA. Make sure hospital submits. If son is diabled due to MH he may be eligible for Medical Assistance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.