Reston, VA asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Pennsylvania

Q: In PA, what can a person do who wants to keep their car from being declared a total loss?

I was rear-ended and pushed into a car in front of me. The insurance co of the guy who hit me wants to declare my car totaled. I believe they are undervaluing my car. They also are including repairs in the cost that are not necessary to make it able to pass a vehicle safety inspection. What options do I have

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: They may be doing you a favor. First, if you were hurt, contact a member of the Pennsylvania Assn for Justice--we give free consults, just like I'm doing now. In Pennsylvania it is the option of the company to pay or total the car out. If you want to keep it you can buy it back for salvage value. They don't have to pay the cost of repairs above total value, nor do they have to pay replacement value. Understand if you keep the car and it doesn't run that's on you. You could see if they will agree to the total loss value (plus sales tax),give that to you AND you get to keep it if yoiu think you can fix it. If they do,they will want you to give them the title so they can reissue it as a total loss title. No you don't get to keep the car and get all the money, and get a clean title. Doesn't work that way.Call if you have more questions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.