Chicago, IL asked in Civil Litigation, Contracts, Family Law and Civil Rights for Illinois

Q: I had a 1977 camaro that was sold without my knowledge because of family disagreement..

I had a 1977 camaro it was originally titles in my name i invested money into the car along with the help of my daughter grandpa we had a agreement that once I paid off car he would give the title back well i moved out and the title was changed into his name is moved back in 2 years later they gave the car back it was going to be transferred into my name but then another family disagreement happened and the car was taken away again i was threatned with the car many of time i have text to prove it i have been looking for my car since July i just recently found it my ex family sold it to a car dealer but i was promised the car wouldnt go anywhere unless i said i didnt want it my question is is there anyway I can get my car back becuase i also had money into the car ans have written paper work from my ex grandfather and text i was being threatned that the car was going to be sold if i didnt do what they wanted

1 Lawyer Answer
Angela Peters
Angela Peters
  • Arlington Heights, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: There are a lot of facts here. I would suggest that you talk with an attorney to determine if you were ever on title or if you had a contract. it sounds to me that you were not on title and there was no written contract. There may have been an oral contract. It would be a good idea to talk with someone soon, as things seem to change regularly in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.