Houston, TX asked in Car Accidents and Insurance Bad Faith for Texas

Q: Can I get insurance to pay me for their customer fault on a accident after a judgement?

I had a accident with someone, did the usually exchanged insurance information other person took fault but changed his story once he spoke to his insurance, his insurance denied my claim after having a police report stating it wasn't my fault, so I took that person to small claims court (he didn't show up) so I got a judgement on him for $2500. My question is since he was insured instead of going after him can I call his insurance and show them proof of the judgement against him and have them write me a check?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Congratulations on your award. You can do that. However if you were hurt you may want to talk to an injury attorney first as there may be issues created by a property only judgment. Call the attorney now before the time to appeal the judgment to the court of general jurisdiction is passed; don't call the insurance until it's passed though.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.