Jacksonville, NC asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Military Law for North Carolina

Q: I am stationed in North Carolina and I'm from Kansas, my husband is from Texas, we have one child together.

When we got married, it was in Las Vegas, NV. I don't want to stay in NC after I'm out of the military. How do I go about making sure I don't get stuck down here? Is there a way that I am able to get custody of my son and have it so that I can move back to Kansas when I'm out of the military?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you can not work out a custody agreement with your spouse you will have to file a custody action where the child has resided for the last 6 months.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.