Eugene, OR asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Consumer Law and Personal Injury for Oregon

Q: I had a levy placed on my account by the California Franchise Tax Board on Black Friday because of mistaken identity.

On black Friday the 25th of November 2016 I was informed by my Bank JP Morgan Chase that my account had a levy placed on it by the California Franchise Tax Board. The total amount in my account was placed on hold and still is. In addition to that hold amount, I was charged a $75 legal fee by my Bank (JP Morgan Chase). This caused my other account to be overdrawn. A ton of suffering! I called them and they agreed that this was a case of mistaken ID. What can be done to compensate me for my suffering? I have not slept for 3 days! I'm pretty sure that's torture! Seeking some treatment from my doctor tonight!

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: First you need to get the paperwork they sent chase. They can't just show up with a levy. Second you need to find out who this board is. I'd also worry the whole thing is a scam, so follow up with JP morgan at a number you get on your statement not on some email.

You want to verify what they sent. You may have a claim against them (check with for attorneys that handle tha).

Possible you may have a claim against Morgan,but only for financial loss.

Generally, you don't get emotional distress claims in cases like this. Don't like that answer--write your Congressperson & US Senators and tell them we need more regulation, not less!

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.