Q: I found out recently that I had potentially unnecessary surgery performed on me as an infant, do I have any recourse?

I've attempted to contact the hospital to request records but apparently they purge all records 10 years after discharge in accordance with CT state law. Not knowing the details of this surgery has major implications on my medical affairs currently. Also, the possibility that the surgeon didn't explain the full details of the surgery to my parents at the time could have had enormous consequences on medical treatments I received throughout my adolescence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: The statue of limitations will be a major hurdle. I don't see any way around it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.