West Columbia, SC asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Probate for South Carolina

Q: Ok I'm 28 yrs old and have lived with my gparents since 2001 when my mom got murderedyour Gmail wasy conservator N

As they got old my grandparents asked if I would quit my job to care for them for the remainder of their life's of which I did my uncle thats the only son out of 3 kids they had hasn't never done anything but been a drunk for them and we'll my question is since my grandma redone her will after mom died but before I was taking care of them the will isn't how she promised she wanted to have it changedone so I got the house of which I live in and always have and the shop building right behind the house and the land it's on like 2 acres but now since she never got around to change it everything goes to my uncle and it's not how they wanted it and I've got plenty of people that knew what she was wanting just nothing in writing from her now keep in mind my grandma got a bunch of my life ins. Money from my mother getting killed to help raise me so I was hoping i would atleast get what was promised to me thanx for any advise I'm in lexington county SC

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI

A: I am sorry to hear of your loss and the hard time you're having. Unfortunately, the ONLY way to transfer land is by a written instrument.

If there is no deed or will leaving real estate to you, you are unlikely to prevail absent some REALLY unusual circumstances. You might want to consult with a local probate lawyer to see if there could be other ways to address the problem, but the facts you provide don't give a lot of hope.

Good luck

--This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.