Geneva, NY asked in Land Use & Zoning and Environmental for New York

Q: Thousands of rr ties on property in Ontario Co NY purchased approx 10 years ago.

DEC or EPA says they have to be removed Need advise on removal and who pays. What to do if they cannot pay??

1 Lawyer Answer
Greta Katrin Kolcon
Greta Katrin Kolcon
  • Environmental Law Lawyer
  • Rochester, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Historically, railroad ties were often treated with creosote to preserve wood from rotting quickly. The EPA has determined that coal tar creosote is a probable human carcinogen, meaning that it is an agent directly involved in causing cancer.

Although there are special rules for railroads and utilities, in general in New York, railroad ties treated with creosote cannot be sold, burned, or disposed of unless in compliance with a permitted facility. This link will take you to the NYSDEC's page which discusses the current law:

The issue as to who would be responsible for disposal of the railroad ties on your property may be complex, and would likely involve a review of the terms of your property purchase and specific factual issues regarding the current and historical use and operation of the property, as well as communications received from the NYSDEC and/or EPA, if any.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is not intended to provide specific legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.