Gaithersburg, MD asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for District of Columbia

Q: My former college hasn't refunded money that they weren't supposed to take. Can I take legal action?

I withdrew from GWU in October. They took money from my private lender for the spring semester. I called in January and was told that the money was refunded. I called again on March 17th and was originally told I would have to fill out a form. I was later emailed that I wouldn't have to fill out a form, and they would just refund the money. They still haven't done that, and when I called today the man I spoke to refused to listen to me and insisted I fill out the form.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
  • Education Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY

A: You may need to file a complaint with the school immediately. If they don't respond in a satisfactory manner, you may need to sue. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Matthew T. Famiglietti agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.