District of Columbia Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: My former college hasn't refunded money that they weren't supposed to take. Can I take legal action?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Education Law for District of Columbia on
Answered on Mar 27, 2017
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.'s answer
You may need to file a complaint with the school immediately. If they don't respond in a satisfactory manner, you may need to sue. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business &...

Q: "Does the ADA put an affirmative duty on public schools to provide an accommodation to a policy for a disabled student?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for District of Columbia on
Answered on Dec 9, 2016
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.'s answer
The ADA requires public schools to provide reasonable accommodations for students falling under ADA protections so long as the student/ parent properly and timely discloses a valid disability listed under the ADA. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me on my law practice website. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Q: Can the University Police confiscate and not return items that are not illegal?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Municipal Law for District of Columbia on
Answered on Nov 9, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
Yes. That is the evidence to be used in the informal trial against you. I suggest that you hire an attorney for this. What does the student handbook say?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.